Saturday, December 02, 2006

Saturday Virtual Dinner Partner

I am shifting focus this week away from meals. In my everyday life I continue to pay attention but for the blog I will limit commentary. This week I want to turn the lens toward movement.

Movement fires me up. I have made my most profound changes on this front in the last five years. It's where I really wanted to step back into my life. I felt major losses during the two decades I became inactive.

I avoid using the word exercise because it harkens back to middle school years of jumping jacks counted aloud by Miss Shelton while she filed her nails. I have never been able to stay on any exercise program for more than a few days. I don't use the word sports either mainly because I've never seen myself as a sports person. I love being outside. I love hiking, swimming, snowshoeing,cross country skiing and sculling. I guess those could be called sports but somehow that word doesn't work for me. Movement is my default word. I couple it frequently with meditation because the activities I chose evoke that for me frequently.

I do resistance training and when I am totally honest I have to say I experience it as exercise. I avoid calling it that so I can forget the association. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Actually on a good day I have to admit I actually enjoy resistance training about 10 or 15 minutes after starting.


Sleep: about 5 hours and up at 5
Vitamins

6:00
nf cottage cheese, clementine, and 2 tbsp walnuts
oatmeal (1/3c before cooked)

10:00
chocolate heaven

12:00
deli turkey and honey mustard in whole grain wrap
small apple

2:00
roasted edadame (small handful)

3:00
half a Tri-lo-plex bar

7:00
roast chicken
tossed salad with 3 g fat dressing (olive oil)
roast carrots
sweet potato
butternut squash
half a pomegranate

Totals: 3 fruits and 4 veggies

Movement and Meditation: Late afternoon walk in the woods... I had to shorten my walk because the sun was setting. Brisk winds and substantial temperature drop made the walk fun. Leaves flew through the air and I walked a good clip to stay warm. I almost always walk alone and I love being immersed in wildness, even if it is a simple stand of trees and few gusts of wind. I feel like I come alive. I feel so much better today since the sun returned. I loved watching it set behind the trees.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”
~John Muir

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home