Saturday, November 25, 2006

Saturday Virtual Dinner Partner

Tracking hunger and saiety (medical term for fullness) is more difficult than one might imagine (at least for me). It comes down to mindful eating. I have been eating for a lifetime. Also, I have experience with meditation and focus. I was as honest here as I could be and I feel like I am learning to do something entirely new that doesn't come easily. The task that lies before me is to wait until I am hungry and eat mindfully so that I am aware (and grateful) of what I am having and stopping just short of being full. Here's how today went. I felt like I was skiing for the first time and I spent more time lying in the snow than skiing.


Sleep: about 8 hours and up at 7
Vitamins

8:00 (hungry starting out but got caught up in engaging conversation and lost track of fullness..not stuffed by breakfast, just noticed conversation more than what I was eating..my thought was where did that go?)
boiled egg
whole wheat toast and New Balance
half a grapefruit
10:00 (wanted it...a little hungry too and I felt satisfied finishing it)
chocolate heaven
12:00 (sat at table alone, was slightly hungry starting out but got lost in thoughts mid-meal and lost track of eating, felt satified and not too full at end of meal but my thought again was where did that go?)
turkey, lettuce and honey mustard on whole grain wrap
raw veggie dippers with baba ghannouj
pear
3:00 (on walk, had it along, was a little hungry so I ate it. Have to say I totally enjoyed it but was I REALLY hungry? To be honest, I probably could have waited an hour to eat).
half a Tri-lo-plex bar
4:30 (oh dear, found myself at the kitchen cabinets dying for a snack. Yep I broke down and ate. I think I was tired from the walk and a little cold too).
crystalized ginger
4 figs
6:30 (not hungry really but wanted to eat dinner before it was too late. Went for comfort food which I completely enjoyed).
grilled cheese (50% fat) on whole wheat bread with New Balance
banana chips (1 serving)

Totals: 3 fruits and 5 veggies
Movement and Meditation: 1 hour walk in the woods. Beautiful mild weather and blue sky starting out. Watched sun set as I walked.

"This food is the gift of the whole universe - the earth, the sky, and much hard work. May we live in a way that is worthy of this food. May we transform our unskillful states of mind, especially that of greed. May we eat only foods that nourish us and prevent illness. May we accept this food for the realization of the way of understanding and love."
~Thich Nhat Hanh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home