Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday Virtual Dinner Partner

I tried on several pairs of hiking boots today at REI. The shoe department was busy and understaffed so I had a brief conversation with the sales person about fitting boots. I ruled out one brand of boot and really liked another (Asolo).

It is hard to find a good in-store selection of serious hiking boots for women. Lots of light hikers are available, but I want something sturdier. My light hikers didn't provide enough support for my Mt Monadnock climb this summer. I was more confident shopping today. It takes time and attention to make this important selection...and it is starting to be fun.

I had a day of testing my resilience. Lunch got away from me. I realized it when, after eating lunch, I wanted more so I had baba ganouj with pita bread. Then I found myself foraging in the kitchen cabinets. After eating half a serving of cheese flavored rice cakes (pseudo junk food in my mind), I realized I was teetering on the edge of binge behavior. This happens with fair regularity for me this time of year. It used to really upset me...now I try to see it and befriend it. I put away the rice cakes and thought about what was going on. It wasn't emotional eating today, it was more physiological.

Lunch was late. I was too hungry, tired from shopping, and wiped out from less than enough sleep last night. It was also really gray again today. Carbohydrates call to me with this combination of factors. To keep this from happening I need to keep good snacks in the car (like whole grain crackers and peanuts), take short naps when I am tired, and go outside for sunlight. I used the lux light this morning but nothing beats natural light. Mid afternoon I decided to take a nap. I felt much better when I woke up.

So I ate more than I usually eat today. Sometimes I do that.


Sleep: about 6 and a half hours & up at 5:45
Vitamins
Weight:185
Lux light: about 1 hour
Meditation: 10 minutes sitting

6:00
Kashi cereal, banana and skim milk
2 cups black tea
10:00
1 c plain nf yogurt, 3/4 c frozen blueberries blended
Dr Kracker cracker (wow, so good!)
1/4c peanuts
1:30 (waited too long HUNGRY)
white bean and escarole soup
50% cheese
Dr Kracker cracker
whole wheat pita and 2 tbsp baba ghannouj
half serving cheese flavored rice cakes
Asian pear
6:00
tangerine
6:30
omlette with soy cheese
half a piece of toast with new balance
salad with 6g fat olive oil based dressing
cocoa about 6 oz.

Totals: 4 fruits and 6 veggies
Movement: resistance training arms and legs 10 lbs 2 sets 8 reps.

The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.
~Arthur Miller

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home